:

celebrating the glories of eating in brooklyn. from the gut.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Drying Rosemary

Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs. I think it's so versatile. I love roasting chicken, potatoes and other root vegetables with it or floating a sprig in a batch of tomato sauce, giving it that extra depth of flavor. In the summer it's no problem when the herb is abundant and this winter with any luck I'll have a bounty of dried rosemary to cook with. I've never dried herbs before. After doing a bit of reading, I cobbled together this approach.

1. Snip rosemary. After cutting the rosemary into manageable sprigs (think brown paper bag sized), wash and thoroughly dry them. I use a salad spinner to spin off excess water then air dried them. I think even slightly wet, the rosemary will get moldy.





2. Tie them up. Take about three or four sprigs of the rosemary and tie them at the base. I used a rubber band.



3. Punch holes into brown paper bags. Putting the rosemary in paper bags will help keep them clean and the holes provide sufficient air to dry them. I hope. I used a pencil to punch the holes, but in hindsight a holepucher would work wonders. Make as many bags as you have rosemary bunches for.



4. Hang 'em up. Take the bunches of rosemary and place them in their own bags and tie the ends once again. I used rubberbands again. Leave some slack because you'll want to hang them someplace to dry. I put mine in the pantry.



I'm not sure how long to leave them drying, but I'll give it a few weeks and report back with the results.

4 Comments:

Blogger meresy_g said...

You know, I grow rosemary every year and never get around to using it. I forget about it I guess. You'll have to let me know how that turns out.

9:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another option...freezing. 1) Place any herbs in food processor adding some water. 2) Process. 3) Place into ice cube trays and freeze. 4) After frozen, remove from trays and place in heavy freezer ziploc bags removing as much air as possible.

Note: A lot water and a lot of processing=herbs used for pesto, pasta, sandwiches, spreads, etc. A little water and a little processing=whole herbs used as you would use whole fresh herbs.

11:01 PM

 
Blogger EFB said...

Thanks for the tip!

2:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, dried herbs of all stripes give a hearty dimension when just hanging around the kitchen..

11:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home