:

celebrating the glories of eating in brooklyn. from the gut.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Red, White and Blueberry


I haven't been home in a few weekends. I spent a week in Maine and the following weekend at a wedding in Philadelphia. Finally, last weekend I was home, glorious home, a chance to do "nothing." I headed to the farmer's market at Grand Army Plaza in Park Slope. My plan was to shop and cook. The South Jersey blueberries looked too good to pass up so I bought 3 quarts of them and baked this open faced "cake." I love casual, eat-with-your-fingers foods. Essentially, I took the Zwetschgenkuchen recipe and substituted blueberries for plums -- something my grandmother used to do. Here is more or less the recipe:

Ingredients
200 grams flour with a pinch of salt. I used whole wheat flour for the first time. It turned out ok, but I think for this recipe unbleached white flour is better, or maybe a combination of the two.
3tbls sugar
1 packet dry active yeast
1 egg
100ml lukewarm milk

Combine flour, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Create a well in the middle and beat in the egg, add the milk. Mix and knead until dough is smooth. Spread the dough out on a cookie sheet or something similar. Let it rise for about 1.5 hours. Top with blueberries and cook at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

1 Comments:

Blogger meresy_g said...

That looks awesome.

3:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home