:

celebrating the glories of eating in brooklyn. from the gut.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I scream, You scream....

I've never had Blue Bell ice cream, but after reading this article in the New York Times dining section, I'm dying to try it. Am I crazy enough to pay almost $90.00 to have four half gallons flown to New York from Texas? Sounds like a job for Jeffrey Steingarten.

What I found interesting is the company's emphasis on flavor over sweetness (imagine). Also, they have lower butterfat content than other ice creams.

I've been experimenting with my own ice cream lately. At first I followed the recipe book that came with the machine, but I found the taste to be too creamy and too sweet. They called for 2 cups of heavy cream and 1 cup of whole milk. I found a better balance by using 1.5 cups of heavy cream and 1.5 cups of whole milk, but now I'm wondering after reading that article if I should switch to skim milk or 2%. I could also try using even less heavy cream. There's only one way to find out.

The last ice cream I made was actaully orange sorbet. I squeezed sweet oranges and combined it with the "syrup" (2 cups sugar and water cooked until sugar is dissolved). The syrup was still a little on the sweet side, but overall I must say it was the best damn sorbet I ever had.

3 Comments:

Blogger meresy_g said...

What kind of machine do you have? I'd like to experiment with sorbets, cause I don't really like ice cream. You don't need a machine to do sorbets do you?

12:16 PM

 
Blogger EFB said...

I have a Cuisinart. It works well. I don't know if you can make sorbet without a machine. I suppose you could mix all the ingredients and freeze it, but it probably wont have the fluffy consistency. Might be more like ice.

1:35 PM

 
Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

I did the tour down in Texas at Blue Bell last year. Their ice cream is good, probably one of the best mass produced, but it still can't beat Ben & Jerry's in my book.

That, and the tour guide had a real attitude problem. I asked her twice during the tour what their most popular flavor was and both times she gave me a really snotty answer.

Apparently that information was only for the question and answer period after the tour was over.

She pointed me out to the group and said that "This man has been trying to tell him what the most popular flavor is. I'm sure he knows." And then she asked me to tell the group.

My answer - "Sorry, I don't know. I never heard of your ice cream until my Sister-in-law who's from Austin suggested we take the tour."

That shut her up fast and she wound up buying free ice cream for me and my family.

12:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home