:

celebrating the glories of eating in brooklyn. from the gut.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Little Progress on the Home Front

I get asked quite often how the house is coming along. Painfully slow is usually how I respond. The best thing I can report on right now is how beautifully the wood is turning out after the stain and varnish has been removed. I really liked the dark stain, but over the years people kept adding more and more stain making it uneven and there was a lot of paint splattered all over. Now that it's stripped it looks practically brand new. We also now have a half bath on the parlour floor. I love the little corner sink, but I don't like the faucet I got. I need to exchange it, but for the time being it does the trick. Here are some photos:





Fireplace details.





Windows with some old stain left.



A good before and after shot of the built in cabinetry.





Some shots of the corner sink with the faucet I don't like. Also, we reused the paneling from the kitchen in the half bath. I like the way it turned out. Looks like it's always been there. We used the traditional white hexagonal tiles on the floor and I'm going to wallpaper (gasp).

7 Comments:

Blogger meresy_g said...

Good God Man! Not wallpaper!!! What are you thinking! Your fireplace looks awesome and I love that sink. And I agree with you about the faucet. It needs something antiquey looking I think. I can't tell from the photo because it is dark but is that beadboard panelling? I love beadboard.

11:12 AM

 
Blogger EFB said...

yes that's beadboard. we have a lot of it on the garden level and when we gutted the kitchen we reused it here.

the wallpaper will look cool. you'll see!

3:34 PM

 
Blogger FKJ said...

mmm. not sure poop...

5:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are some good looking moldings. That's one of my favorite parts of those old brownstones.

I think you're right about the faucet, its a little overpowering for a sink that small.

11:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wallpaper rules.

2:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

think twice about wallpaper, faux finish paint such as rag, venetian etc., can look great on old walls and antique moldings.
It is really shaping up, can't wait to see it - and yes, the faucet doesn't belong:)
love,
jollycorner

12:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wood looks awesome. I'm with you on the faucet - something more antique, but simple. I'm pretty much anti-wallpaper or faux finishes, but look forward to seeing how it comes out.

1:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home