:

celebrating the glories of eating in brooklyn. from the gut.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Park Slope Food Coop

Over at Simon's Brain he's rejoicing because he quit the Food Coop. I'm a member and I have to admit shopping there has become a nightmare. It's overcrowded to say the least. The last two times the lines wound their way up and down all the aisles. And yes working there is a mess too, but it's only 2 hours and 45 minutes a month. Let other people sweat the big stuff.

But we endure, because nowhere else in New York can you get the quality produce and other foods at such great prices. I particularly like the fact that the Coop develops relationships with farmers and tries as much as possible to buy locally.

3 Comments:

Blogger meresy_g said...

So you actually work there? I wonder why we don't have co-ops? Did Philly have them? I don't know that I ever saw one there. Is it really that cheap? Interesting.

10:35 AM

 
Blogger EFB said...

Yeah I work there 2 hours a month on the maintenance shift. What makes it cheap is the fact that most of their produce is organic that you would otherwise pay through the nose for.

If you don't eat organic, it might not always be cheaper.

2:34 PM

 
Blogger Mutha said...

I was a member of the Park Slope Coop in the late 80's/early 90's and it was pretty dreamy. We were very into the organic produce -- which was hard to find, period, at that time. I'm sad to think it might not be a great place any more...

10:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home