:

celebrating the glories of eating in brooklyn. from the gut.

Friday, December 09, 2005

The Great Bolognese Debate

With snow on the ground and a chill in the air, one of the best dishes to cook and share with friends is pappardelle Bolognese, or ragu or just plain meat sauce. This is a dish that everyone seems to have a variation on. It's personal and often there are family recipes. That's what makes it so wonderful. There is nothing like the scent of ragu simmering on the stove all Sunday afternoon.

I've had great luck and rave reviews from friends using this recipe from Mario Batali (though somtimes I substitute all beef for half veal and half pork). Reading through the user reviews, however, there are a lot of detractors. I've tried making Bolognese with canned tomatoes and red wine, less garlic and Batali's always proves to be a solid recipe. So I just thought I'd share it. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home