:

celebrating the glories of eating in brooklyn. from the gut.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

New Year's Resolution: Braise More

Ok so, maybe I shouldn't be so flippant about New Year's resolutions. Maybe I should lose weight, read more, work out more, bring about world peace or give up meat. But I recently purchased a wonderful cookbook about braising so it's highly unlikely I'll give up meat.

Braising is the art of cooking food over a long period of time in a vessel like a Dutch oven with very little liquid which combines with the liquid given off by the chosen meat or vegetable to create an intensely flavorful dish. The cookbook I'm referring to is Molly Stevens's All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking. What appeals to me isn't the idea of easy recipes. I enjoy cooking so I don't always look for easy recipes. What I like about it is the concept of communal eating. With braising everyone eats from the same pot. I really like food that can be shared and utilizes the simplest and best ingredients to create a meal from the earth, ultimately returning to the unfussy origins of good eating.

Ms. Stevens's recipes run the gamut from traditional European dishes like Sauerbraten and Coq au Vin to Asian and Caribbean influenced meals. There are also plenty of recipes for braising vegetables. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but I'm looking forward to it. This will be a good year -- 2006-- the year of braising.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this new year i make a simple resolution that i will not lie! you know what simply by making this little commitment to your self can be remarkable. and you can also influence others atitude by speaking the truth !!!

nice blog b/w

Sindie Adams
Australia

**GeekWebTalk**

5:01 AM

 
Blogger debbie koenig said...

Too funny--I got this book for my birthday 2 weeks ago and am planning to make the celery w/crunchy bread crumb topping tonight, for blogging about within the next few days. Did you read the chapter on The Principles of Braising? So informative, and so well written!

We'll have to compare notes as the year progresses--I'm planning to use this book a whole lot, too.

4:30 PM

 
Blogger EFB said...

How funny. I just happened to pick up as I was waiting on line at the Food Coop. Once I started reading it, I was hooked. We'll definitely have to compare notes. Wish I had the time to do a recipe a day starting with the first one.

10:14 AM

 
Blogger debbie koenig said...

Me again. I finally got around to blogging about it today--this book ROCKS! I've made three things so far, all vegetable, and they've all been stellar. Can't wait to try some of the meat recipes...

I would've linked back to this post, but I couldn't find a permalink. Am I just not seeing it? I'm not the most tech-savvy person in the world.

12:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home